(This is the study tools post I made on my old blog, but i kinda improved on it and added to it, I hope it’s useful! Let me know if I should add anything else.)
Tips to help focus:
- Delegate a certain amount of time during the day to complete your schoolwork.
For me, I like to keep all of my schoolwork during the day, so I basically treat it as a 9-5 job. That means, even if you finish early/start late/have no classes or only a few classes one day, go to the library and catch up with your work! It leaves your evenings free to do whatever you need to do. This works for me really well.
- Study in an environment that’s clean, organised and comfortable. If you can’t study at home, go to the library. Don’t study on your bed lol, you’ll probably fall asleep. Once you find a good place, stick with it. After building a routine, your study spot can help get you in the zone since your mind will associate it with work, which can help you focus.
- Study in short bursts of 20-30 minutes. After that amount of time, have a 5minute break. Tell yourself to spend those 20-30 minutes doing ONLY work, because the breaks are so frequent, you can check on whatever you need to do during those times, which should make it much easier to focus on doing work. You have to be very strict with yourself to not go over your breaks. After your break return to work and start again with 20-30minute study bursts.
- Spread those study sessions out throughout the day, so between classes, or one in the morning and one in the afternoon etc. Don’t spend more than 2-3 hours in one place or you’ll get bored and burn out quicker.
- Split all your work into smaller manageable tasks and then dedicate some time doing one task at a time.
For example, dedicate 2 sessions to doing your readings on a particular chapter in a book. 1 chapter per study session.
(More under the cut)